@ my local shop these types of riders are their bread & butter! They account
for at least 5 flat fixes a day, brake pads, seats . . . . Basically,  all the
stuff that rarely wears out on my bikes, because I have too many.
The article doesn't say the "Industry" needs this type of rider it says "we"
need this type of rider. Like the subject in this article, most of the people I
encounter riding bikes for transportation CAN'T get a driver's license; for
that reason I admire their independent spirit, because they could just as
easily, be calling the local metro to have a short bus come pick them up &
drive them around. Instead they take control of their situation. Respect!