I get a variety of different responses depending on which bike I am riding;
most non-cyclists just smile at me on my very non-traditional bikes.
When I encounter other cyclists on "nice" bikes it generally breaks down in one
of two camps  the people who give you a heads up "on the left" or whatever tend
to also recognize what it is I am riding & will follow with "nice bike" or "is
that a Rivendell?" The other batch are  the lycra wearing, carbon fiber riding,
workout enthusiasts who are trying to break their KoM. They rarely say
anything, buzz by as fast as they can and only  recognize or acknowledge other
bikes similar to theirs. It really doesn't matter that many times my bike cost
twice as much as theirs, it's just sort of a myopic view of the bike world &
bikes as exercise equipment/ with social cachet.