It was custom in the sense that you had to order your size and wait, kinda like
the current Waterford frames. You're right about choosing paint, which was a
great benefit. The spec sheet someone posted in this thread shows that you
could order a non-stock size for a $300 upcharge; I think the one you're
selling is the stock 53cm A/R.

Which is a great bike, I'm just commenting on how all this worked back in the
day as I recall it.

I'm surprised it hasn't sold yet, but maybe people are struggling with buying
another bike right now same as I am. Somebody buy this before I do!