On Thursday, October 4, 2018 at 12:30:27 PM UTC-6, Patrick Moore wrote:

> I think that it was Grant who did the most to change all that, and that he
> had a cultural (bike culture) effect that was both far earlier and far more
> widespread than Surly or Jones. I'd even say that it was largely Grant who
> made it possible for Surly, at least to flourish, and probably (Jones is
> much later) Jones too, at least indirectly, that is, by the overall
> liberation of design trends.

I don't disagree at all.  Developments, advancements and trends obviously
piggyback on previous developments, advancements and trends.   Without a
doubt, Grant's thinking about geometry and fit found their way into Jeff
Jones' thinking.   Maybe Jeff was simply the conduit for taking things like
lower bottom bracket, athletic, upright riding positions, and ergonomic
handlebars from the road world into the mountain bike world - but it was
Jeff's unique take on it, with slightly different ideas about things like
slacker headtube angles, low trail and ultra-short chainstay lengths, that
eventually created a new paradigm that killed the NORBA mindset.  And that
virtually everybody else followed.  Others like Canfield & Chromag
continue to take it from there and come up with different variations, but
incrementally so.

For Surly, I'm pretty much referring to fat and plus size tires, along with
a lot of simple, useful components that weren't available elsewhere.
Before they pushed for it, the technology to make big casings didn't even
exist.  For me personally, there's never an advancement that more improved
my riding experience. (I'd say multiple-geared drivetrains were more
significant, but I wasn't around when that happened.)