Kip:

A complimentary resource to the ACA maps is Bicycling the Pacific Coast by
Vicki Spring & Tom Kirkendell (The Mountaineers Books, Seattle).  The
commentaries are more detailed and the route is essentially the same: take
Hwy 1 south.

Something to think about:  crossing LA on a bicycle is a bit tedious, to
say the least.  I grew up in LA and have lived with heavy traffic all my
life.  For ease of navigation, most published routes across LA stick to the
Pacific Coast Bike Route, aka SR 1, for the most part.  Study this area
carefully as there are more pleasant alternates with some minor
adjustments, sometimes just being a couple of blocks off SR 1 (commonly
referred to as PCH in the area).

There is no camping between Malibu State Park (north of LA) and Doheny SP
(southern OC).  There is a new hostel in San Pedro called the South Bay
Hostel.  Of course, if you can get Warm Showers across this stretch that's
the best solution.

One caution on the Bicycling the Pacific Coast info:  it's set-up as
roughly 60 mile per day average.  This may be challenging given the amount
of climbing, esp for the kids.  They do a good job of listing all the
campgrounds along the way but only comment on the ones they've used.  The
ACA maps also have good info on services.

We live in Orange County & could possibly help out, although we have no
travel plans that far off.  Contact me directly if you want to discuss in
detail.

Doug Peterson