Ian asked about how challenging my commute is.  It's 18.5 miles each way.
Towards work has about 500 feet of climbing and towards home has about 1000
feet of climbing.  The afternoon winds kick up somewhat and I have to punch
through that on the way home.  i treat the ride into work as a morning
meditation.  I get a cup of coffee in Berkeley and drink it while I ride.
I'm not hammering.  I'm wearing my work clothes.  I don't know if that
answers your question.

Ian followed up with a 'if you could only commute on one bike, which bike
would it be?'.  I'm not sure how to answer that, because it seems you are
after something specific, but I'm not sure what that something is.  I think
of 'commuter' as a build concept.  I could execute a commuter build concept
around any number of my bikes.  It just so happens that the Rosco Bubbe is
a commuter build concept.  It's got an undeniably awesome feature for
anybody who rides BART, the Lift-a-tube.  Other bikes feel positively
primitive now that I've lived with a Liftatube.  There are very VERY few
bikes in the world that would not be made marginally better with the
inclusion of a lift-a-tube.  Only bikes that need to be feather light, and
are never lifted would be worse off with a lift-a-tube.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA