I forgot the best part of my Albastache ride:  one long climb was up Old Tunnel
Road above Oakland. 28 years ago that whole canyon burned in what was called
the Oakland Firestorm. As I was contemplating the changes that had occurred in
the 30 years I’d done this climb. There’s the new house built to look like a
saxophone. There’s the spot where a Specialized Stumpjumper melted in the fire
while locked to a railing. Etcetera.

My mind wandered as I thought about fire policy, climate change and various
veins of scientific thought as well as some technical topics I would need to
discuss with my coworkers once I got to the office. It’s one of the many
reasons I enjoy cycling, particularly uphill and solo. It’s an all too rare
opportunity to daydream and meditate. As I crested the climb and reached to
shift to the big ring I realized that I had completely stopped thinking about
the bike or the new cockpit. It had ‘disappeared’. That’s about as much as I
can ask for from equipment.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, Ca