I own both of these bikes and use them for pretty similar purposes, namely
daily commuting and errands plus longer/loaded touring (Joe, albatross) and
stripped down Road rides (Sam, noodle bar). Both are stable, neither is
ridiculously heavy, and they both ride great either with or without a load.

I agree with the earlier poster who said that a lighter wheelset for your
existing bike might make a difference that would keep you from buying another
bike. (This could be an argument for or against buying the wheelset,
obviously.) My Sam had Alex DM-18 rims with 38 mm Little Big Ben tires, and is
a totally different beast on its new Dyads and Jack Browns. So you may be able
to avoid n+1 if you buy new shoes.

If I were to choose between the two, which is apparently not my strength, I
would buy the Joe if it were for wider tires on rough roads/trails, the Sam for
42 mm or narrower tires on mostly pavement or gravel. But I agree with those
who have said you really can't go wrong with either frame.