I did previously own a 58cm 700c Atlantis.  It was a frameset I picked up
on the list, and I did a really nice build on it.  A neighbor/acquaintance
talked me into selling it to him, to match the one his wife runs.  My
Saddle Height is 75.5cm.

I think the traditional pre-MIT 700c Atlantis is a classic.  A
masterpiece.  An ultimate loaded road-touring machine.  It's a tremendous
bike, but it is 2018.  The old-style 700c Atlantis is becoming more and
more of an artifact, like a time capsule from 1995.  Time capsule bikes can
be cool, and if that is what you are after, there is not a better example.
Trust me, I like time capsule bikes.  I have an "eroica bike", among others
that are somewhat nostalgic machines.  There is a great deal of appeal in a
throwback bike.

The flipside is that the 650B Atlantis is a ton more evolved, in my
opinion.  As you saw I rode up and down Diablo on mountain bike trails on
the 650B Atlantis, with it's 2.2" tires.  I asserted to Grant that a 650B
Atlantis is a VASTLY superior mountain bike to any Bridgestone that Grant
ever designed, and he said "No contest".  The fact that it's a fantastic
road bike as well just shows how evolved it is.  I would have been
seriously underbiking on a 700c Atlantis on that ride.  The upslope TT gets
the bars up way higher way easier.  The long chainstays are add a ton of
stability without sacrificing any of the maneuverability.  I would not
hesitate to choose the 650B Atlantis.  The only reasons I can think of to
choose the 700C version is nostalgia and a more 'traditional' aesthetic, or
some handwringing over tire availability when you are third world touring.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA