Learning to change out an inner tube after flatting is definitely a high value
skill to learn for any cyclist I think.

That's probably one of the main things that would be included in a basic bike
maintenance class.

A bit of practice after learning the basics should serve you well.

There was a first time for all of us in learning how change out a flatted tube
and a learning curve to get proficient at it.

At the beginning I would get frustrated trying to remove and replace the rear
wheel in the frame until someone showed me an easier way.

I also ruined a number of new tubes by rushing and not taking the time to make
sure the tube was completely inside the tire and a part of it not being pinched
between the rim and tire bead.

The sudden and very loud pop as well as $5 to $10 down the drain via a ruined
tube will teach one to check thoroughly.

If you're boys continue in cycling this would be a good skill for them to learn
as well.

Perhaps learn as a family?

Treat it like a puzzle.

What caused this blasted flat?

Let's figure it out together.

A few mystery flats of mine turned out to be issues in the base of valve area
that had been separated a bit.

 It would hold air for a time but with slight movement of the stem begin
leaking.

I've also had the cursed tiny wires the semi truck cast off when their
retreaded tires come apart and litter the roadways.

 Even tires with flat protection built into the tread are not immune from those
tiny devils especially when touring.

The last few years most of my flats were caused by seam separation of the tube

an obvious manufacturing defect.

I've had a least 3 and a friend had one last week from seam separation.

I guess we got a defective batch of tubes.

Sometimes I resort to putting the tubes inĀ  bathtub water to isolate the leak.

I've found it also helps when first installing a tube to always orient the tire
the same way on the rim every time.

Then after removing a flatted tube and determining the leak location you can
know where to check the tire for the source of the puncture if it was a
puncture.

Of course check both the outside and inside of the tire.

Goodness, this got long.

I hope a bit of it helps.

Paul in Dallas