I can't recommend the Ventura-Ojai path enough. It's completely car free
from the beach to Ojai, with just a few hundred feet on streets coming out
of Ventura, and it's very easy riding, no hills—it's an old rail line. It
is 15 miles up to Ojai, so depending on your yahoos' appetite to ride, it
might be a lot (especially on the 15 back) but it's so, so beautiful up
there and Ojai is a great place to have lunch and spend the day at the
farmer's market or at Bart's Books, which bills itself as the world's
greatest outdoor bookstore and that's not an exaggeration (see pics).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1X5c1gmsZRDzWy4MA

If you ever get there with people who want to ride for hours and like to
climb dirt, you can veer off the path, cross 33 and go up Sulfur Mountain
(then back down the other side, through Ojai the other way and return down
the path to Ventura). It's unbelievably stunning up there because you can
see clear to the ocean on one side and on the other across the Ojai valley
to the Santa Ynez and the Topatopa moutains in Los Padres National Forest.
I unfortunately didn't get a pic of that view last time I was up there but
we did ride a short way off the trail and found an old bus completely
burned out from the Thomas fire.

The only downside to the 15 miles of the path is there's not all that much
between Ventura and the outskirts of Ojai. There's a park a few miles up
with bathrooms and water, but there's nothing commercial until you get back
into town.