I've had tubeless tires fail due to tears, rips, or shreds in the sidewall
well before the tread gives way. I've fixed them with a combination of
cardboard, duct tape, old tires, etc, but I NEVER run those fixed tires as
tubeless anymore as the risk and consequence of a blow-out are too high (in
my opinion) and a tube will reduce that risk enough to keep me comfortable.

In terms of repairing a flat in the field, assuming the sealant doesn't do
its job or the hole is too big for a plug/bacon strip, you will need to
throw in a traditional tube and patch the tear with a temporary boot or a
dollar bill. Emphasis on the temporary...If the sealant does its job,
having a little extra sealant is always a good idea to carry around,
especially for longer trips or routes with a lot of puncture potential

I don't run 2.8's so I can't comment on any good pumps to re-inflate those
giganto tires...

Collin