Deacon, I've also greatly enjoyed your posts/pictures though I generally
only catch them when you post a link here in the group.  I had bookmarked
your site some time ago but with so many similar blogs/sites going dormant
over the years and a general lack of personal time I rarely check those I
still have bookmarked on my browser.

I joined Instagram a few years ago as my first and only step into modern
social media after successfully holding out on many of it's predecessors
(myspace, facebook, for example.)  I liked the fact that it was more image
based and a very simple format.  As others already noted, It's easy enough
to use and only needs to be as social as you want it to be.  I took the
plunge after eventually getting an iPhone and finding some bloggers and/or
other webpages of interest were using it more and more often in lieu of the
previous formats.  Instagram is owned by Facebook's parent co. (not sure
when the buyout actually happened) and in the 3 or 4 years I've been using
it has experienced many design changes, some of which I personally do not
enjoy due to my own tastes, and although it's become a little more complex,
it's still fairly simple to use and you could ignore or embrace some of the
added content/features as you see fit.

A Riv related side note is that before I was an Instagram user, while I had
a growing interest in Riv and an increasing infatuation with the
quickbeam/simpleone (I'd need a tall 66/68cm QB) I had been again looking
through some Riv content and came across a link or reference to their
Instagram and heading over to it.  While looking at some of their IG posts
I came across a previous one announcing they had just found some NOS
Quickbeam frames in the warehouse that they were suddenly making
available.  I 'think' some tall ones were available at that time (and think
that may have been when Will also built up his own 68cm?)  Anyway, this was
one a few similar occurrences where I found I missed out on some info I
wish I'd known that had been made available strictly through Instagram
and helped give me the push to sign up for it.  This example is
obviously more of a commercial aspect to it which has continued to grow for
smaller, niche markets.  Advertisement has also grown to be a large
part within IG and last I checked I think I had an advertisement for every
5 posts from users I 'follow' meaning I scroll through 5 posts from users
I've requested updates of their content, advertisement, 5 more I actually
want to see, advertisement, and so on.  There may be ways to restrict it
but I haven't had the time or desire to dig through the settings.  My short
term solution has been to just severely limit my screen time and to
essentially eliminate my own contributions.  I've barely posted content of
my own the past year and stopped participating in the social aspect
altogether... I now just observe and haven't 'liked' or 'hearted' aka
'doubleclicked' anyone else pictures or posts, or commented, etc.  If/when
I have a moment or need a distraction I just scroll through to see what
others are doing/working on, etc. and blast past the ads and then go about
the rest of my day.

You could get as much or as little as you like out of Instagram and it's
still easy enough to post your own 'entries.'