Oh my goodness! Yes, my Riv made me more of a tinkerer. In reading
something-or-the-other Grant wrote, that is part of the intention; well, it
is more of a by-product of the intention: Make things simple and fixable.
By making them simple (relatively speaking), we have the opportunity to
work on and learn from our bikes. Disc brakes were on my right-before-Riv
bike and while they were great, but I would have had no clue how to work on
them. We have the opportunity to understand what a subtle change in a
component translates to in feeling and and performance, I changed handle
bars and shifters and brakes levers several times. And, by making it
fixable, we have the opportunity to stick with a bike even when something
malfunctions because we can replace the component ourselves when it is all
too tempting to start over because the cost of an LBS doing the work
narrows the cost gap to new. Prior to my Riv, the most I had done was swap
seat posts, saddles and handlebars. I stripped and rebuilt my Cheviot
several times. "I" am a sixty year old woman with questionable mechanical
skills to augment keen mechanical desires. And yet, I did it. Slowly and
several times over, but I loved every minute of it.

Evidently, I was bound for this fate anyway. I started tinkering with bikes
at 18 months of age. Grant just reminded me;-).