Eric, I think the idea is “glimpse cognition recognition” (a technical term I
just made up). Riding down a trail, I am always scanning ahead, scouting my
line of travel as I impliment it. I don’t identify most trees as I pass, but I
do notice branches sticking out that effect my line and adjust accordingly.
Similarly with people walking down the road. I asses from a glimpse how much
space I will give them. Child(ren), dog, or group? A lot of space. Individual
lost in thier own world? A lot of space. Someone who sees me and waves or I
recognize? Less space.

Drivers do the same thing, and have developed a bias, so the theory goes,
against racing mentality cyclists. If I don’t LOOK at a GLANCE like a racer,
they give me more room. I have long experienced this. I get even more room when
I take the right wheel track on the road and wave and smile.

With abandon,
Patrick