Thanks Tom! Yes, I’ve been traveling for so long I’ve gotten the whole shebang
pretty well sorted.

I pack my bike in an almost identical manner to how I received it from Riv.
When I first opened the box from them I took a few photos of the way they had
packed it up and have pretty much followed that method every time. I still have
the original box and have used it lots (not only does Riv make solid bikes, the
also source solid boxes!).  I recently switched the original box because one
airline didn’t care for the width of the box. Now I use two 29er boxes nested
so I can get an extra 3” of height the my 62cm Hinq, now christened ‘Sweet as’,
required.

As I travel internationally often, the bike is counted as a piece of my luggage
as long as it doesn’t exceed weight limits. When I traveled to New Zealand, I
had the bike and a duffle with the rest of my gear, and paid nothing extra.
Often this is the case. When I flew home from Tuscon after completing the
Divide, the bike fit in a single 29er box and cost me $25 on Southwest.

So far, everything has worked out well for me with no damage to the bike or my
gear.

Cheers, John