Doubt that material has much to do with severity of injury / crash
propensity.  Too many other variables.  Recently I saw a guy pulled
over, sitting next to his bike.  I stopped to see if he needed help.
Problem was his carbon stem had snapped.  The bike was un-ridable but
he hadn't crashed & wasn't hurt.  I can't imagine how he maintained
control to stop.  The other side of he coin is an incident years ago
(in the age before carbon).  A friend dis-located a shoulder & misc
related damage when the aluminum handlebars on his steel framed bike
broke off cleanly at the stem.  He was just standing up on a modest
climb, no severe jolt, pothole or other input.  Go figure.

dougP