Have you tried adjusting cable tension? Usually, reluctance to shift to higher gears indicates excessive cable tension.  If that was the case, you'd expect pretty snappy downshifting.  On the other hand, "semi-responsive" to downshift, "reluctant" to upshift sounds like the whole thing is sluggish.  Is there excessive friction in the cable run?  Gunk in the plastic cable guide doohickey under the bottom bracket? Crud in the housing loop at the rear derailleur?  Poorly finished housing ends casing cable drag?