Us the top cap bolt only for initial bearing adjustment - bearing load -
before the stem is clamped down. (In fact, you don't even need the top cap
bolt to adjust bearing load, but it makes this easier) and hold it in place
with the stem clamp.

One trick is to adjust the top cap bolt -- before clamping stem -- just so
tight that, if you pick up the bike front-wheel-down and swing the front
wheel gently, there is no binding. Hold in place with stem clamp.

To re-adjust: loosen stem clamp and adjust bearing load; re-tighten clamp.

Much easier than threaded systems -- can be done on the trail (rarely
needed, IME) in 5 minutes with allen wrench.

On Sun, Apr 14, 2019 at 11:51 AM 'Deacon Patrick' via RBW Owners Bunch <
rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Getting to know GBW includes my first ever threadless headset. A few
> questions:
>
> -- Does tightening/loosening the top allen bolt tighten/loosen the headset
> and thus effect bearing wear? If so, tips for proper tightening please?
>
> -- Is adjusting stem height a matter of removing the top allen bolt and
> restacking the spacers and stem bits to the desired height?
>
> -- Anything else a threaded headset lad outta know in riding and wrenching
> a threadless headset?
>
> With abandon,
> Patrick
>
> www.MindYourHeadCoop.org
> www.CatholicHalos.org
> www.DeaconPatrick.org

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

*Still 'round the corner there may waitA new road or a secret gate,And
though we pass them by today,Tomorrow we may come this wayAnd take the
hidden paths that runTowards the Moon or to the Sun.*
                                --- J.R.R. Tolkien
Resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, and letters that get interviews
By-the-hour resume and LinkedIn coaching
Other professional writing services
Expensive! But good.
http://www.resumespecialties.com/
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, Nuevo Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique