I have used indexed shifters my entire adult life. To be honest, I never really
had any issues and I never really found any of my bikes particularly difficult
to set up and adjust. That said, for some reason when I went to spec out
shifters for my new Sam Hillborne, I decided to try out Rivendell’s Silver
Shifters mounted on the bar ends of my Albastache bars.

What a great decision that was. I can’t believe how
much more *enjoyable* they make shifting. I have them set up with a 9 speed
Connex chain and a 11-32 cassette that I got from Rivendell and after a little
getting used to I feel I can shift nearly as accurately and efficiently as I
could with lower range Camagnolo ergo levers (which were wonderful, by the
way).

If you’ve never tried friction shifting and are curious, I’d definitely
recommend picking up a set of Silver’s and giving it a shot.