Removing the drive train? You mean to make it a stride a bike? The bikes
being discussed are for kids presumably well-past that stage. And sure, my
guy might not "care" but only because he has no baseline. In between the
Islabike and the WOOM, I did assemble a nifty vintage GT Mt. Bike, complete
with custom 150 cranks that I had a friend machine for me. He seemed
perfectly content. But after a downhill spill, I decided to spring for the
WOOM, remembering how happy I (and Mack) was with the Islabike. I'm not
fussy or overprotective or the spoiling, get him what he wants only the
best kind of parent, but a nice bike for my kid, absolutely. Cost is about
3 sets of Compass/Rene Herse tires, or a mid-price wheel set from Rivendell.