That SRAM setup Nick posted sounds like an awesome solution, I may try that in
the future.

On my Sam I currently have Shimano's 11 speed SLX mountain cassette (11-40) and
derailleur with a single ring up front.  I use Microshift's bar-end shifter
made especially for them, since Shimano doesn't make a drop bar shifter for
that derailleur.  This is the same shifter Gevenalle uses on some of their
brake levers.

Though it's 11 speed, as mentioned, it fits on an 8-10 speed hub, since the
largest gears can fit out over the lip of the hub on the spoke side.

As a side note, I use mine in friction mode...feels much better than indexed,
and I've never had problems finding a gear.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/fd9b8ab0-69f6-4301-830d-068e5370d34c%40googlegroups.com.