The idea that metal fenders have less clearance than SKS is false. You can
buy wider metal fenders than you can plastic. You can press/pound a recess
into metal fenders at the fork crown, front brake area to increase the
overall clearance in other areas. Some Honjo fenders can be had
pre-clearanced for this purpose. You cannot put a recess in the SKS plastic
fenders without cutting. If you want to maximize clearance, you can always
cut the fenders (plastic or metal) at the fork crown, front brake area,
this cures the open brake - fender interference issue. The forward part of
the fender can be held in place with a modified "diving board" rack mount,
fender stay, rack or some combination thereof. Rivendell will even do this
for you.

Laing
Cocoa, FL

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/f5787714-cd62-41c1-a3ec-a433e9541aec%40googlegroups.com.