I got a silver pair from Rivendell a few weeks ago to use with my new-to-me
Joe Appaloosa. I had a pair of $20 Clem pedals installed as a place holder
and these are a big improvement. I'm used to retention of some sort: toe
clips and straps or SPD or Look/SL style. It is amazing how well the little
pedal spikes retain your feet over all but the biggest bumps. The overall
length of the pedals, 4 ½ ", makes for great support and I feel less like I
need to wear SPD compatible shoes. Indeed, softer, running shoes do a
better job of holding a position and the long, wide platform of the pedal
obviates the need for a stiff soled shoe.

Still getting used to them but very happy so far!
David Lipsky
Berkeley, CA

Interesting pedal arguments in this advertising heavy promotion of the
Catalyst pedal:
    https://pedalinginnovations.com
The Catalyst is a little longer than the Monarch at 5".

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/43649ab1-15c1-41f8-9db4-e74953a4c626%40googlegroups.com.