These kinds of discussions confuse race with culture.  The purported
paucity of black cyclists is a cultural phenomenon, not a racial
phenomenon.  Race is genetic and affects physical characteristics, culture
is learned.  We're not born cyclists, we have to learn it.

So there aren't many black cyclists---so what?  It's not their thing.  They
have other things.  Their things aren't my things, and they're not trying
to get me involved in their things because they're their things and they
don't care that they're not my things, too.  Sociology PhD's working for
universities can get grant money to study these kinds of disparities and
publish the results and we can all read 'em with interest, but it doesn't
change the fact that different cultures gravitate to different things, and
there's nothing wrong with it.  It's just the way it is, and it's
interesting to know it and acknowledge it, but there's no need to "fix" it.
 I know this bothers Grant (there's my Riv content!), and he can have his
issue with it but I don't share his concern.  I'm not offended by his
concern over it and I don't think any less of him for it.

When I lived in California in the 90's I learned that 90% of the donut
shops in that state were owned by Cambodians.  Almost all of the women
working in manicure shops are from Vietnam.  Most NBA and NFL players are
black, but few hockey players, race car drivers, or professional golfers
are.  In the absence of limits, a large fraction of the students at
top-tier US universities are Asian.  These concentrations are way out of
whack with the groups' representation in the general population.  Why is it
like that?  'Cause it is, that's why, and it's fine.  Nobody's being shut
out, except maybe the non-Asians who can't get into the supposed "elite"
universities 'cause too many slots are taken up by the Asians, but the
Asians get those slots because they've earned them through hard work, which
is a *cultural* advantage they have over whites and blacks and Hispanics.

Really, there's much ado about nothing here.  Like Patrick, I've been kinda
fascinated by the concentration of certain races and nationalities in
certain professions ever since I learned about those California
Cambodians---but as an observer, not as someone who thinks it's evidence of
something we need to fix.

Finally, there's nothing wrong or offensive about Patrick's post.  What
flows to the keyboard starts in the mind, and Patrick doesn't *think* in a
way that would let him post something offensive.  So....chill.  No need for
anyone to get their panties in a twist over this.

Dave
Boston/Indy

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/0d126b1a-75ca-48b5-a041-34b4806bb47e%40googlegroups.com.