Unfortunately, perhaps, it doesn't sound that cryptic to me. I am still
debating between getting another Clementine or going in for a Hillibike. I
do hope the Longbolts/Slugstone/Willsens get made. I do hope Rivendell
finds a way to keep going, even after I get what will almost certainly be
my last new bike.

With talk of ABS-assisted steering for so-called e-bikes, Grant's nightmare
of bikes becoming not-bikes continues apace. It is already getting
difficult to sell bicycles without disc brakes anywhere other than big box
stores. Nobody sells them without indexing. Many recreational riders with
disposable income have gone to electronic shifting. As electric motors get
lighter and smaller, more and more bikes will be equipped with them, for
when you want to extend your commute, or keep up with friends, or get home
fast when you're tired.

I saw a video for Shimano electric assist Mt. biking that was truly
creepy--these guys were flying on trails going as fast as if they were on
motocross machines. The irony that hillybikes.com is a site for electric
bikes has probably added to the end is nigh mood. At some point, though not
voluntarily, all the technotopia will stall and wither. It might not be all
that long from now, but likely too long for Rivendell.

swan song
*noun*
a person's final public performance or professional activity before
retirement.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/1e95ed49-9928-4590-b2c0-e0b7acd2d88c%40googlegroups.com.