I'm no help on comparing but can share that my 60cm 1983 Specialized Expedition
proved to be a very worth tour bike loaded up with 'too much' gear,

right around 70 lbs worth for 2 different month long tours of around 700 miles
each.

One was across Nevada in the summer on Hwy 50 and the other from just south of
Denver across Wyoming to Yellowstone.

The Expedition proved to be perform remarkably well.

I'm not sure what more I could of asked of touring bike. No complaints at all.

I did customize my Expedition a tad and had

 a modern XT drive train on it  with 22 low in front and 34 in back to get me
up all those mountain passes with a heavy load.

I have very fond memories of those tours.

I did a write up on cyclofiend site  years ago about the mods of my Expedition.

I miss that bike.

As I have aged fatter tires up to a 42 or 44 wide with fenders would help
smooth out rough roads if I sought another touring capable bike to tour again.
A Homer would accommodate,  right?

I also had a 1986 Miyata 1000 for around 2 years, another terrific bike but
never toured on it.

I thought it rode great unloaded.

I did ride my good friends recently acquired Homer a short distance , what a
stunner!

Fun thread to bring up good memories.

Perhaps I should plan another and make new 'old guy' tour memories.

Paul in Dallas