I think you answered your own question.  The Basket Rack is purpose built
for a Wald 139 basket.  If that's your use case, it seems  to me that's a
really nice rack to consider buying.  If your use case requires a versatile
swiss-army knife rack, then there may be better choices.  Having more
choices is always good, in my opinion.  I understand being sad that nice
stuff is expensive, and that products manufactured via high-cost,
high-quality supply chains tend to be expensive, but for a good front rack
that could last you the rest of your life over many bikes, $250 is not
really that much money.  $80 tires are guaranteed to be used up in short
order.  Your 10-year old front rack will be functionally good as new.
Racks are worth investing in.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA