Hello Rick,

About 6 weeks ago I was on a club ride descending a local hill
(Shannon-Kennedy) behind a ride leader who went down. Miraculously he
didn't break anything (although he told me the flesh part of his hand
and hip are still tender).  Afterward he said he heard a seemingly
innocuous creaking.  After he went down his wheel was disfigured with
a rim bent all out of shape.  Upon closer inspection there was a crack
by his spokes that looked just like yours!

You never know when this might fail. You are blessed to discover it
without a related accident!

Cheers!
Chris