This reminds us me of a book from 1969by Fred Bauer called 'How Many Hills to
Hillsboro?'
I see the book listed on ebay.
I read it years and years ago.It was one of the books that inspired me to try
bicycle touring.
It's about a family of 5 , the Bauer family from New Jersey, the parents in
their early 30's,with 3 kids, 13, 11, and 3 years old.
They decided to spend a summer vacation cycling across the USA.
They started in New York City and  made it about 2000 miles to Albuquerque,
New Mexico.
The Dad was carrying the 3 year old in a child seat.
They were not seasoned cyclists.
They rode 4 new Schwinn 5 speeds of that time and were overall ill equipped
from what I recall but just persisted and kept pedaling for about 8 weeks
averaging 45 miles per day.
At the end they ran out of time and needed to get back home.
At any rate what an adventure for that family!
It would be interesting to hear the children's recollections of that eventful
summer vacation.
Safe pedaling to all,
Paul in Dallas