Jim: The cost at the moment is high, all I'm seeing on searches is $1749, which
is full price. I've seen them as low as $1400 this summer, though, so keep an
eye out. I got mine used. (Keep in mind the whole motor-and-battery system is
in the hub, a lot of low-price hub kits out there list motor and battery prices
separately).

It's a torque-sensing pedal assist system which reacts to how hard you press
the pedals. The best way to describe it is levels of tailwind: If you very
lightly pedal, you'll get a light tailwind; mash the pedals and the wind gets
much bigger. It's a nice experience because it feels like regular cycling, just
augmented.

This cycling experience can be modulated with the power settings, too. There's
Zero, Eco, Standard and Turbo. I mostly ride in Standard which is a fair amount
of boost on rolling terrain, but not like a giant motor hammering you down the
road. I was out a while today, and into strong headwinds and up hills I just
stayed in Standard and hammered the pedals..I worked up a bit of a sweat. Turbo
I reserve for traffic when I would rather lead the cars than squeeze between
them, or near the end of a ride when I'm tired and just want to blast home.
Range is about 25-30 miles if I stay away from Turbo; I can easily kill the
battery in 10 miles if I blast it the whole way..so I don't do that!

The nifty thing about this kit over others on the market is it's all
self-contained, there's no looking for a place to mount the battery, no wires
strung all over the frame. It's all in the wheel: you flip a switch on the
wheel itself, then adjust power settings from the app on your phone (I have a
Quad Lock mount on the bars). The app shows speed, power level and battery
level; plus records the whole trip including a map trace of the ride.

I'm very happy with it. I've owned more powerful (like stupid power up to
40mph, this one tops out at 25) mid-drive kits that are quite the project to
install and are kinda insane to ride..this one is more manageable for me as a
cycling experience. A drawback is all the weight is in the back, it can feel a
little odd until you get adapted. Also, I don't look forward to wrangling it
off the bike to fix a flat, so I run a tough and heavy Schwalbe back there. My
first attempt at flat fixing would be to pull the tube from the side of the rim
and see if I can get the hole patched, but if push comes to shove I can flip
the bike over and pull the wheel..I carry a 15mm PDW "butter knife" wrench for
the axle nuts.

I hope that's clear enough, holler if you have any more questions.