A hacksaw I have, but no tap. How does one go about finding the right tap
and learning how to use it? I have tapped internal (female) threads but
never external ones.

At $9 + shipping from the UK, a tap would have to be very cheap and very
easy to use to outweight this:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/schmidt-allen-key-fitting-front-quick-release-skewer-for-75mm-oln-brompton-hubs/?geoc=US