I went through this with the first tire changes on the Cliffhangers. The bead
really really really has to be in the center channel. I cut some 1/4 inch nylon
tubing into 1 1/2 inch lengths and put them in the bag with the spare tube.
Stick them between the bead and the rim at various spots around the rim to
force the bead into the channel. I don't use them anymore--I gotten the hang of
it, but they're still in the tool bag for some frozen frustrating morning.They
don't weigh much.

The foolproof way to stop fighting with the tire going back onto the shelf
(tight part of rim) is to get the air out and lay the wheel flat, push the tire
down around the full cicumference and let gravity keep it in the channel while
you work with the tire irons.

Carl