jacob, I'll second your endorsement. just rode my atlantis back to maryland
from colorado and when people ask best part of the route, I have to say it
was the GAP!  C&O not shabby either, and is being increasingly upgraded for
bikes vs its original footpath intent. and yeah, colorado was kinda
spectacular.  I believe amtrak will now take you and your fully assembled
bike from d.c. to pittsburgh or vice versa; also will drop off in
cumberland, where GAP meets C&O.   It is a spectacular passage, not
viewable by car; also flattish and shady enough I never used sunblock.