Because my name (or at least position as "moderator") came up recently, I
thought I'd share a couple thoughts.

- Off-topic?
There were comments that unless I step in and delete a thread, it's not
off-topic. This is patently wrong. The topic of this group is clear.  The
direction is clear. We are talking about guardrails. If we keep veering
toward the guardrail because folks are piling on, that's going to degrade
the quality of this group. You have the ability to not add momentum to the
vector. Please take a moment to make a clear choice before posting.

- Adult behavior
The time I need to step in and delete a thread occurs the moment it gets
personal and/or nasty. Deleting threads is a PITA and takes extra time I
don't typically have. That's why I rely upon the members of this group to
take responsibility for the content shared and tone taken. It's why the
"new member bottleneck" exists. That minor delay is often very revealing as
to how short people's fuse is and the speed with which umbrage is taken. By
the time you've been unmoderated, I usually have a sense that you will be a
contributing member of the community. I've only had to remove a handful of
folks over the years.

- Moderator's perogitive
Of course, if I see a post that starts with "This may be OT..." then I'm
just as likely to delete it out of hand. A casualty of early awakenings and
strong coffee, the condition in which I usually am perusing new and
moderated posts.

- My goal
Is to continue to fortify respectful communication between members here.
Too many groups have long since devolved into generally nasty or snide back
and forths - being glib or clever for some unknown agenda. I think we
continue to show more restraint on hot button topics and I greatly
appreciate that effort.

- Random thoughts
Let's not extrapolate. Let's understand there's a real person on the other
side of the conversation Let's continue to remember that each of us are
imperfect individuals. Let's give one another the space to be wrong and
change our minds.

Happy holidays to all and thanks for adding to the conversation.

- Jim / cyclofi...@gmail.com / moderator-admin