I recently installed a nice Tech Deluxe (thank you, David!) on the
2003 Road to replace a princess-and-pea-too-long Pearl. The 2003 has
an upsloping tt, a high head tube, and a long steerer, so I don't need
but a fraction of the Tech Deluxe's long quill above the waterline.
This means that there is a heckofalot (English unit) of quill shoved
down tight into the steerer. The quill is well lubed with Pep Boys
grease, but do I need to worry about it bonding with the steerer?
After how long?

I actually cut the quill on the other Tech Deluxe on the 1999 Road of
similar build, but that was (he said, blushing) to accommodate a
weight saving titanium binder bolt.