I have a Hubbah and mine came with Bosco bars built, so they are swept
back.  The bike handles beautifully, and I would say that it feels very
much like riding a Betty Foy/Cheviot even though it is much longer.  I
think the geometry is designed for swept back bars, but with a short stem
it might be possible to use drops.

I think the bike would do wonderfully for touring.  I did the San Francisco
Randonneurs 110k last weekend, and there was a Hubbah tandem on that ride
and they looked like they were having fun.  For me, I would say up to 60-70
milers would be good for the bike.  I think for longer days, I would prefer
a more aggressive riding position and would probably convert my cockpit to
drops for a gain in efficiency.  With that said, I definitely prefer the
HHH to the Santana Arriva? tandem that I have.  The handling on the Riv is
so much nicer.

Toshi