The rear doesn't look bad at all. But I do prefer the horizontals on my two
fixies for fender and wheel cooperation, as well as for other reasons.

On my Redline Monocog 29er -- the builder said the modifications and powder
coat -- Forest Green! -- may be ready next week! -- which has track ends, I
deliberately cut the rear fender short so that it ends about 4" behind the
rear rack and thus avoids interfering with the wheel when it is removed.

Actually, the fender line on my two fixies looks better than that on my new
Sam Hillborne, with verticals.