PG
I've had the same thoughts during the last few years. (will be 72 in April)
I was living in a high density area and although my past involvement in
motorcycles taught me to anticipate the worst, I was getting less and less
comfortable riding on the roads.

I retired last summer and part of the decision to move was to live in a
more bike friendly environment.
We now live within a mile and a half of a network of Rail Trails. The area
is also very bicycle friendly with clearly marked bike lanes in a town that
has mandatory traffic stops for pedestrians.
I couldn't imagine life without some kind of outdoor exercise.

Where I used to live it was difficult finding safe routes but not
impossible. As others have said seek out the better roads. If you don't
live near paved trails perhaps there are some close enough to drive to and
bike from there?

Read up on bicycle safety. Use a rear view mirror and lights, know your
place in the lane, take "box turns", etc. It's not like it was when we were
growing up. Try to make sure drivers see you and anticipate that they
won't.

Riding smart keeps it fun and enjoyable.
-Dan