I hope you all will indulge me in this dilemma my wife and I are facing.
FIrst the on topic part of the question. My wife and I are both
international educators and have been offered positions at an elite private
school in Mussoorie, India, for the next school year (it’s a two year
contract).  Here is the school’s website if curious:
https://www.woodstockschool.in/

This place is pretty amazing and has a long storied history.  It seems the
place to have my Rivendell AllRounder and a mountain bike.  I’d really miss
a roadie style bike but there is a limit to how much we could take.  Side
question: I’m remembering reading a great book on touring in the himalayas
written by a young woman but can’t seem to find it.  Anybody remember the
book I may be remembering?

Anyway, which bike would you take to such a place?  The tool should match
the location right? I sure would miss my Della Santa though.  Wondering if
my fatter tired DS (it takes a 33 width tire) might be worth taking.

The real dilemma is with the current state of the world, would you even
take the job and go.  We are in strangely unprecedented times. The alarmist
is me feels like getting there when we currently are at a level “4” from
the US State Dept and perhaps on the cusp of a global recession at best,
and perhaps a full blown depression, makes this an incredibly tough move to
even consider.  The adventurer world educator in me thinks this is the
opportunity of a lifetime. Woodstock school is mentioned in some
international educator circles as the “dream school” to work at and a
“unicorn school.” Tough to pass up.

Staying here in Reno where my wife and I both hold jobs in the school
district that are guaranteed/contract jobs with a pension plan (albeit a
crappy district and a not great pension plan) is the safe option (maybe,
who knows in these times).  Or perhaps a remote village in India is the
safer move? It’s a different perspective on life and benefits in terms of
the job as well. For example, even though the pay is much less, the
benefits include free housing and all utilities on campus, annual flights
for the whole family back to the US, free healthcare/insurance (there is a
24 hour clinic on campus), meals are substantially subsidized, our littlest
child would get a nanny and both our kids would get free tuition at the
same IB school.  Essentially this means that anywhere from ⅓ to ½ of our
pay could be saved every year which amounts to more than we can save now
living in the United States on American teacher salaries because we are
generally so poorly paid in this country. The school is it’s own hillside
enclave of about 200 acres as you can see on the website, and Mussoorie,
where it is located is a touristy town of around 5,000 people. Not far from
Rishikesh if that is helpful for the Beatles fans out there.

I realize for many people the idea of moving to a village in India seems
crazy even in ideal times.  These are not ideal times. But what an
opportunity. I’m grappling with it. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions, from
this wise lot as we contemplate and sift through the pros/cons of doing
this?

Your wise words and thoughts are most appreciated,

Addison

(In Reno for the time being)

Addison Wilhite, M.A.

Academy of Arts, Careers and Technology <http://www.washoeschools.net/aact>

*“Blazing the Trail to College and Career Success”*

Portfolio and Blog <http://addisonwilhite.com>