My rear skid story also involves a sweater!
My cool morning sweater was tied around my waist, and slipped down into the
wheel as I was frailin’ my fixed gear down a steep hill onto a bridge. Rear
wheel locks up and slides, I brake hard on the front, and fetch up against the
low guardrail over a 20’ drop into deep water and flooded saplings. If I’d been
going just a couple miles an hour faster, I’d been over the edge. As it was,
the tread was worn down to the casing, and I thump-thump-thumped home very
carefully. I don’t tie sweaters around my waist anymore.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA