Yeah, I realize what I want might not be actually possible. And I hear you,
Ted, on weights of frames and stuff. I’m willing to go back to the drawing
board, though. The lovely stable ride of the Clem may come at a cost that I
can’t have in a whippier frame.

Will is working from home and thus answering emails, so I’m trying to get an
estimate of when the Cheviots will arrive (spoiler alert: I don’t think it’s
this summer any longer) and if ordering a custom would actually be FASTER.

I’ll keep you posted.

On the other hand, I was remembering my little boy’s 20 inch Giant. Baby Bear
was in 1st grade and I had decided that it was indeed possible to bike commute
to and from our new school, even with the mountain in between. He was so proud
to have a new, bright yellow and blue bike WITH GEARS, but when he tried to
ride it up the hill he just struggled. He was so discouraged every day because
my older son and I could do it much more easily. Baby Bear would always have to
jump off and walk. One day I took it in for service and the mechanic, familiar
with our hill because the roadies ride it, said, “Ma’am, if you have a 6 year
old who will ride this bike up that hill and not complain or refuse, you have a
very good kid. This bike weighs way too much.” I was stung. I felt terrible. I
sold that lemon on Craigslist (sorry to whoever bought it!) and bought him an
Islabike. He was a new kid. He danced up that hill from that day forth and
never complained again. We called his bike The Red Rocket and Baby Bear was
tickled.

I know the weight percentage differs, but the memory came to mind...

Leah
Sent from my iPad