There's more to it than stem length. Width, height, tire weight and contact
patch (affected by volume and pressure). With all those independent
variables, it can drive you nuts or lead you on a search for a formula that
will confuse people by the millions, but it's not necessary. You "learn" a
bike by riding it in different conditions, seeing what it can do, seeing how
much of a gap it leaves for you to fill in with technique. It's a rare bike
that can't do all its maker intended, but sure, some ... leave smaller gaps.
A single-speed with 23's leaves you a big gap when you ride on trails, but
it can DO it.

Steering gets "lighter" with:
Wider bars
Higher bars
Lighter wheels
Harder tires
More nervous rider!

I THINK, I'm not chiseling this in rock, that higher bars have more
lightening effect (trying not to say "twitchy" because "light" is good and
is what I mean)--than shorter stems. Based on my experiments and experience
with this stuff, but your results may differ. Main thing is--get on the
bike, ride it, learn it, fill in the gaps it leaves you and be glad you can!

Dual suspension mountain bikes ridden by policement in airports: No gaps to
fill.

Grant
Rivendell Bicycle Works
www.rivbike.com