I've been nosing around 650b alternatives and thought I'd mention a couple
of sorta off-topic newer tires here, just to have the info all in once
place. And I've been messing around these past couple of days with a couple
of the tires mentioned, so I have some observations and data.

As for tires that have already been mentioned, I haven't found any
seemingly easy/reliable non-French sources for the Confriere. XXCycle is
usually the first to pop up on google, I've bought from them before in
pre-covid times. Not sure what air mail from France is like these days. The
tires are pretty affordable at around $25ea at today's conversion rates,
not sure what shipping costs. I thought I had a pair on hand, bought 10yrs+
ago, could only find one yesterday.

The Confriere is lighter than my equally-aged Grand Bois Cypres standard,
280g vs 311g actual. Current spec is 267g for the Confriere and 320g/260g
for the Grand Bois std/EL. Both tires are spec'd 32-584, while the
Confriere measures a little bit wider, 33mm vs 32mm on Velocity Aerohead
rims. But the Confriere has a tread overhand on the side of the tire,
meaning the tread wraps around the side of the tire and sits above the
casing, like the Vittoria Corsa tires, so the actual casing width is the
same. At least on the ones I played with yesterday. The Confriere was
probably never mounted/inflated, so it might  expand some. The GBs were
well-used, so they've stretched about all they will.

The GB Cypres are readily available out of Japan, as long as retailers have
stock and covid doesn't interfere with air shipments. Ordering direct from
i's Bicycles in Kyoto, or Blue Lug in Tokyo, is pretty straightforward.
Blue Lug I think will allow you to check out directly online with paypal,
i's will send you a paypal invoice including air shipping costs after you
order.

Scott Davis also imports GB tires, and is their official US distributor,
and he usually has listings on ebay. He had red-tread 32s on ebay
yesterday, nothing with black tread. I think I saw him post elsewhere that
he wasn't likely to get another shipment of anything till mid-May, due to
covid impact on, I guess, everything. Japan domestic production/shipping,
Japan retailer operations, US>Japan shipping.

There are a couple/few alternatives that are narrower than 32mm, again
sorta off-topic, but interesting.

Schwalbe makes the G-One stubbly tire in a 30-584, but not in the
highest-zoot Race spec. I think it's their second-tier spec, Performance or
something.

Continental makes the GP5000 in a 28-584. I'd get real fired up if they
moved that up into the 32mm+ range.

Both of those are relatively recent tires, but I also just saw that Ritchey
makes the Tom Slick in a 28-584. The Tom Slick has been around for a long
time, though there might have been changed/improvements over the years.

As to why these narrower 584s exist, I think it's probably a Euro thing,
with a lot of vintage especially French rando bikes designed around 23-32mm
650b tires. They also might be just the ticket if you had some weird
aero-schmaero track time trial frame designed around 700x21c tires. 28mm
650b tires would get you more cush, and you'd probably still have decent
ground clearance.

Paul Brodek
Hillsdale, NJ USA