With modern lights and a forward position, it doesn’t matter to me.
I have one bike with the mount on the right side of an m12(?) under a basket,
and two bikes with the light on the left side of custom racks under a basket.
With the forward position, the tire shadow is close enough to the bike that I
don’t notice it.

I’m right handed, so I slightly prefer the action of turning the light on when
it’s on the right. That one is a cyo(?) with a knob, though, which I much
prefer to to three-stage pushbutton of the IQ-X.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA