We're far enough into this now that the end of pandemic, or at least
"opening"  is even a topic. I've sure had some collected thoughts.

It's quiet. Air travel has clearly diminished to the point that I look up
at every plane that's on its long approach to the airport, 20 miles to the
west. Traffic is sparse and I can't help but see those out driving and
wonder what essential function they represent with their travel or if they
don't care and are just doing what they want. I'm amazed by the large
numbers resoundingly represented by the emptiness of the streets.

Like other social norms, degrees of individual adoption of instructions and
information are visible. Being in healthcare I realize my professional
practice make me a critic of degrees of protective preparation for public
tasks if not to standard. The open display of waste using disposable PPE
incorrectly, without it having a chance of providing the benefit potential
to users who wear them, is maddening. Worse are those who appear to elevate
PPE like a spiritual protective icon and display such poor discipline in
public that they must believe in supernatural powers of their nitrile
gloves, face shield masks and (i'm not kidding) ponchos. People want to
believe in something and this situation has made it visible in public.
Brand names or branded items had been a way people differentiated
themselves, now it seems to be the procurement and display of PPE.

I learned and used closed loop communication in critical moments in the
military and healthcare. It gives closure and verification that what you
said was heard, acknowledged, responded to in act and completed. It's
ingrained enough in me that I think the public health posture at all levels
needs to look at what they see on the street as their feedback because they
won't see much of their message being acknowledged intact. I hope the quiet
majority who are out of sight, at home, not touching things, not flaunting
disposable PPE but rather preserving them for the moments when its precious
use is necessary or using alternatives like bandannas suffice. Makes me
think of Hopi Kachina dolls that are given to those who will be respectful
and care for them responsibly.

I ride my bike to and from work because it provides opportunity to connect
with the world while separating from both home and work while en route.
Most people at the end of a hard day have a little black cloud over their
head that goes right into their car with them to go home, little chance for
separation. I enjoy what the dark, the cold and the wet contribute to those
ends. Even more so these days. I have found a much more clear appreciation
of cycling these days and to my observation, so have many others. they are
doing it in pursuit of the act itself, in normal clothes, going places. The
performance riders in their kit and spacebikes seem to have reverted to
Peloton in their basements.

We've "quarranteamed" with our young friend in her last semester of nursing
school. As the pandemic got foothold in the US and local actions were
imminent we reached out and invited to her to spend it with us at our house
for a number of practical and psychological reasons. It's been very helpful
for all of us to have a bit bigger table set for for meals and daily life.
She did insist on bringing her bike and we have been on many rides to
maintain perspective.

I have had a lot of thoughts on cycling for myself these weeks and I hope
as things resolve and open up I'll be able to realize them, with great
value.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh