I did one, on a hardtail mtn bike which is now my commuter. As Joe says,
the only special tools were to tighten those big locking nuts at the BB. I
thought mine were tight enough first try, but the motor came loose and
rotated down in under a thousand miles. I don't think you can overtighten.
If mine comes loose again I will get one of those stabilizer bars that
clamps to the chainstay, only about $20 and should work better. My other
mechanical install issue was getting the chainring aligned, took a few
trips to the local ebike shop for spacers at the BB and spacers on the
ring. Each install may need some tweaks like that.

I think those high power mid-drives do need to depower when shifting, they
are really hard on drive components. I did not use an inline shift cutout,
instead use a cutout button. That has turned out to be useful as it works
for shifting and also allows a quick way to go unboosted when maneuvering
around cars or other objects at slow speeds.