This is obvious and self-evident to a lot of people, but is
counter-intuitive to a lot of people: slamming your saddle forward to fix a
reach problem will often make your problem worse rather than better.  If
your bars are too far away, and you are 'hunched over' too much, slamming
your saddle forward also pushes your weight forward, so now you will have a
lot more weight on your hands, making your hands, elbows, shoulders, neck
and upper back all worse off.

Most road bikes from the 1980s have way too steep seat tubes, and require
you to slam the seat all the way back, often with an extra laid back
seatpost, to get your bum back as far back as it ought to be.  When that
weight distribution is right, you should be able to just lay your hands on
the handlebars.  If you are bent over too far when your saddle is in the
right position, then the right way to fix that is to get the bars up.
Slamming the saddle forward on a 1980s road bike would destroy my
shoulders.  It makes my neck tense even thinking about it.

It's worth experimenting with a zero-offset seatpost if you don't mind the
expense of it.  Just know that you may find that you've made things worse
rather than better.