I'm a bit baffled how we were able to identify the perfect type/brand/model
of recumbent for Jeffery's dad, when so little about Jeffery's dad's
cycling needs, wants and ambitions were stated. Maybe gobsmacked would be a
better description than "baffled". In any case, I'd strongly suggest a road
trip to a recumbent shop or browsing Craigslist to find some designs to
try. Anything else is mere guesswork, at best, based on incomplete
information.

Delta trikes fell out of favor in part because the design is inherently
less stable than a similar capability tadpole design. Can the stability of
a delta design be increased? Sure, but the more stable design will trade
off other qualities. In particular, a well designed stable delta is going
to give up significantly on sportiness and fun in the ride quality. All
sporty trikes I know of are tadpole design, but not all tadpole design
trikes are targeted at sporty riding with low-slung, extremely reclined
seats. Here's one example of a more relaxed tadpole:
http://www.ti-trikes.com/  BTW, I don't have a dog in this race, and don't
even care for trikes myself, but wanted to clear up a misconception.

I'm also perplexed by the statement, "recumbents in general aren't awesome
for bad knees on hills without a motor." Can you explain further?
Recumbents generally don't climb well (quickly) because they're usually
heavier and the rider can't stand to mash the pedals to get over a steep
section. The only option is to "sit and spin", which is why recumbents
usually use lower gearing than upright bikes and, importantly, why they can
be easier on knees than a stand and mash geared upright bike. Certainly the
fit requirements for any particular recumbent, trike or bike, need to be
addressed by the user or his bike shop, which they often aren't. For
example, many people find spinning lower gears the way to go on a recumbent
and many of those folks find it easier to spin low gears with crank arms
that are considerably shorter than they're used to on an upright bike. I
always preferred 170mm's on upright road bikes, but even 165's were clumsy
when riding recumbent. I'm currently riding 152 and 155mm arms, but lots of
recumbent folks are riding much shorter than that (140mm or even shorter)
to foster high RPM, low oomph, easy on the knees pedaling. I'd refer anyone
interested in this topic to the many discussions on Bent Rider OnLine,
where the topic is discussed more than you'd likely care to read.

-Jack K.