I think "best" size is kinda dependent, though I'm not sure on what.

I'm about 5' 9" with a 84 or 85 pbh.
Before RBW did the SimpleOne, Kevin refused to sell me a sub 56 Quickbeam
(they only had smaller frames left) saying that would be too small and that
he might rather put me on a 58.
When pre-orders for the SO opened I immediately went to RBW and ordered
mine. Kevin asked what size I wanted, and I said I was unsure but I
expected either a 56 or a 58. He looked me up and down briefly then said,
with conviction, 56.
Some years down the road, though I'm confident I could have done fine with
a 58 I'm sure he was right to recommend the 56.
I now also have a 57 FJSr. I bought that when they had one 57 and one 55
left.  I think that bike is about as big as I'd want. Though on the whole
I'm also glad I didn't end up with the 55.
I've used 33 and 35mm tires on those bikes.

YMMV, but I think the OP is right in the grey area where without somebody
as knowledgeable as Kevin looking at him it's hard to know if 56 or 58
would suit him better.